Lets Talk Movies

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

DreamGirls

Well its Academy Award time!

I went to see DreamGirls tonite..I was around for the Broadway version..saw it several times. I have to say that the movie did it justice. The new songs - all of which are nominated for best song if I'm not mistaken - were lovely and fleshed out the Broadway version beautifully.

Eddie Murphy is fantastic as Jimmy "Thunder" Early and Jennifer Hudson - what more can I say about her performance - amazing she looks like she's been doing this all her life.

The only shadows were film issues. Sync issues and it looked like it was shot in a low res digital format then up resed for creating the release prints..in simple terms..it looked soft, kind of like tv, certainly not like 35mm film.

With these things in mind I'm reminded of another musical that got little or no attention - Rent. It was beautifully shot, perfect technically and musically - yet no attention whatsoever. Maybe the family just didn't market it correctly I don't know.

I also wonder why DreamGirls didn't get more nominations. The only thing I can figure is that the film really makes Deena into Diana if you catch my drift. I think Hollywood didn't like that. But then who knows what Hollywood likes these days..

til next time - see you at the movies!
Pennypengo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home